Saturday, July 7, 2012

Pancakes

Pancakes are my husband and mine favorite weekend breakfast food.
And today was no different – once I opened my eyes I was in the mood for pancakes.
So in the spirit of the blog I decided to make both my normal pancakes and American pancakes.

American Pancakes


Here served with maple syrup and blueberries. This picture shows about half the amount this recipe makes.


Ingredients
2 dl/1 cup flour
2 dl/1 cup milk (buttermilk is best)
2 eggs
1 tblsp. sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tblsp. melted butter

Mix all the ingredients together and, if you have time, let it rest for a couple of hours in the fridge.
Heat up a pan and fry them in butter for about 1 minute on either side.
You can tell when it is time to turn them over, because air bobbles will appear on the uncooked side.
The size varies when I have had them, but I normally try to get 4 in a pan at the same time.
Serve them with fresh blueberries, maple syrup and cold butter.

I often serve them with a blueberry-maple syrup, simply combining the 2 in a pan and heating them until the blueberries bursts and colors the syrup.
I am not a huge fan of butter on the pancakes and also often find that the pancakes suck up too much of the syrup – making them too sweet.
So I sometimes squeeze a fresh orange over them, making them nice and spongy, without the extreme sweetness.




My pancakes



Pancakes with lemon zest

These pancakes are French inspired, so the correct name would perhaps be “My Crêpes” but it is the way I have always made pancakes.
This recipe was "invented" when I was a little girl, home alone with a friend, and going through the cabinets to find something to satisfy our “lækkersult” (meaning hunger for something sweet/tasty).

Ingredients
2 dl/1 cup flour
2 dl/1 cup milk
1 tblsp sugar
1 pinch salt
Zest of 1 large organic lemon and/or orange
1 egg

Mix the batter together and, if you have time, set it aside for a couple of hours in the fridge.
Put a pan on high heat and put some butter in the pan. 
I sometimes melt the butter beforehand and coat the pan with at kitchen brush.
This way you keep the butter from burning because it has been cleared – the same way you would do when making béarnaise or hollandaise.

Make a test pancake – the rule in our family was that the first one was for the pancake chef. 
This way the chef could adjust if the batter needed more salt, sugar or maybe moister since you are looking for a batter that will easily coat the pan with a thin layer of batter when you tilt it.
Another good thing about the chef tasting the first pancake is that you can sometimes taste the last thing that has been cooked on the pan – especially curry tends to stick even after thorough cleaning.
But most of the “last meal taste” will stick to the first pancake and save your loved ones the bad experience.
Ideally you would have a pan just for sweets, but I always end up using that pan for something else when I am in a jam.

In my family we would often serve these pancakes with homemade “råcreme” which is a crème made from beaten egg yokes, sugar, vanilla and wiped crème, and fruit on the side.
But for breakfast my husband and I just use maple syrup or Nutella and Banana.

Traditional Danish pancakes are much like the crêpes, but sometimes a bit thicker and whenever a grandma or grandpa has made some for me – they used a lot of butter in the pan to make them crisp along the edges.
Some make the batter with beer and some with a bit of butter – like in the American pancakes.
And many would add an extra egg for a thicker batter.
Normally they would be served with jam or sugar.

I think every family has their own recipe - so the only way to find your own favorite is to make A LOT of different pancakes!

I hope you will all have a great weekend filled with good company and great food!







No comments:

Post a Comment